1882 - 1969
Lilia McCauley was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota on July 15, 1882. She grew up in Washington, DC and studied there at the Corcoran Art School. After her marriage to Wolcott Tuckerman in 1903, she moved to Ipswich, Massachusetts. While there she studied with George S. Noyes and Charles H. Woodbury. She moved to Santa Barbara, California in 1915 and settled on a ranch in Carpinteria. There she continued her studies with Douglas Parshall. She was active in southern California until her death in Carpinteria on August 7, 1969. Working in oil and watercolor, she produced mostly landscapes and a few floral still lifes. Member: American Federation of Artists; California Art Club; San Diego Art Guild; National Arts Club; Santa Barbara Art Ass'n; Painters & Sculptors of Los Angeles. Exhibited: Los Angeles Museum of History, Science & Art, 1918; California State Fair, 1928, 1931, 1935; National Ass'n of of Women Artists, 1928-64; National Academy of Design, 1930; California Statewide (Santa Cruz), 1931; Little Gallery (Santa Barbara), 1938, 1939 (solos); Santa Barbara Museum, 1944, 1949, 1951, 1953. Works held: Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History (dioramas); St Paul's Church (mural) and Trinity Episcopal Church (triptych) in Santa Barbara.
Return to artwork page.