1855 - 1946
Edith White was born near Decorah, Iowa on March 20, 1855. At age four she came across the plains with her family in an ox-drawn wagon. Upon arriving in California, they settled in a mining camp in Nevada County. After graduation from Mills College in Oakland in 1874, she studied art at the School of Design in San Francisco under Virgil Williams and later at the Art Students League of New York City. In 1882 she established her first studio in Los Angeles and after 1892 lived in Pasadena with a studio in the Green Hotel. While there she was a cofounder of the local art association in 1896. As a member of the Theosophical Society, in 1902 she moved south to Point Loma and taught art at the Raja Yoga Academy. By 1930 she had returned to northern California and established a home in Berkeley at 2801 Russell Street. At her studio there she continued to teach and paint into her old age. A spinster, White died in Berkeley on January 19, 1946. Her oeuvre includes portraits, floral still lifes, missions, and landscapes with flowers. Exhibited: San Francisco Art Ass'n, 1890; California Midwinter International Exposition, 1894; Arcade Sketch Club and Pasadena Art Ass'n (founder), 1894-97; Denver Artists' Club, 1898. Works held: San Diego Historical Society; Santa Fe Railway; Mills College (Oakland); Mount Holyoke College; Denver Public Library; California Historical Society.
Return to artwork page.