1898 - 1994
Friedrich "Fritz" Werner was born in Vienna, Austria on April 7, 1898. He studied under Tichy and Bacher at the Vienna Imperial Academy, National Academy of Fine Arts in Munich, and Académie des Beaux-Arts in Paris. He worked for several years in Argentina before coming to Los Angeles in 1932. He later maintained studios in Woodstock, New York and Chandler, Arizona. After following portrait commissions all over the world, in 1974 he settled in La Jolla, California where he remained until his demise on April 1, 1994. Although he painted landscapes, he was primarily a portraitist. Exhibited: Paris Salon, 1923; Terzia Biennale Romana (Rome); Stendahl Gallery (Los Angeles), 1932; Courvoisier Gallery (San Francisco), 1933. Works held: Ohio Supreme Court; Montpelier (VT) State House; University of Cincinnati; Northwestern University (Chicago); San Diego Museum.
Return to artwork page.