1872 - 1961
Margaret Esther Rogers was born in Birmingham, England on May 1, 1872. The Rogers family immigrated to California in 1875 and established a prosperous sheep ranch in Monterey County. In her youth Margaret was known as one of the finest horsewomen in the West. The magazine Western Woman said of her, "She could break the worst kind of bucking bronco without assistance; with the utmost ease she drove six or eight horses hitched together in a manner that would win admiration from the most experienced stage drivers of the old days." She left her father's ranch in 1905 and moved to nearby Santa Cruz where she settled in the Seabright area. For many years Rogers lived in back of the old Tyrell house (now the site of the Natural History Museum on East Cliff Drive). It housed the Santa Cruz Art League of which she was a cofounder in 1919. Her art studies were under local artists Frank L. Heath and Lorenzo P. Latimer. She and her constant painting companions, Cornelia DeGavere and Leonora Penniman, were known as the "Santa Cruz Three" and made many camping trips into the Sierra and surrounding area. She was a skilled oil painter of landscapes, still lifes, and marines before her demise in Santa Cruz, California on March 15, 1961. Member: Women Painters of the West; Society of Western Artists; Bay Region Art Ass'n; Salinas Fine Arts Society; Oakland Art League; San Francisco Women Artists; Berkeley League of Fine Arts; Santa Cruz Art League. Exhibited: California Statewide (Santa Cruz), 1927-38 (awards); Oakland Art Gallery, 1932, 1934; California State Fairs, 1934, 1936, 1937, 1941 (awards); Laguna Beach Art Festival, 1936; Golden Gate International Exposition, 1940; Society for Sanity in Art, California Palace of Legion of Honor, 1941. Works held: Santa Cruz City Museum; Santa Cruz County Hosptial.
Return to artwork page.