1867 - 1946
Jules Eugène Pages (1867-1946) was born in San Francisco, California on May 16, 1867. Raised in the artistic milieu of his father's engraving business, he worked there as an apprentice. In 1888 he sailed to Paris to study at Académie Julian under Lefebvre, Constant and Fleury. After returning to San Francisco, he worked as an illustrator for the Examiner and Call newspapers. Upon returning to Paris, in 1902 he began teaching night classes at Académie Julian and served as its director. Pages gained international recognition while in France and was made a Chevalier of the Legion of Honor in 1910. In 1915 he exhibited at the Panama Pacific International Exposition and was a member of the International Jury of Awards. Although he remained in France for forty years, he returned to his native city often to visit and exhibit. At the outbreak of World War two, Pages returned to San Francisco and died there on May 22, 1946. Member: Bohemian Club; International Society of Sculptors & Painters (Paris). Exhibited: Paris Salon, 1895 (honorable mention), 1899, 1905 (gold medals); Steckel Gallery (Los Angeles), 1909; Bohemian Club, 1924 (solo); California Palace of Legion of Honor, 1946 (memorial). Works held: Mills College (Oakland); California Palace of Legion of Honor; Oakland Museum; De Young Museum; Museum of Pau (France); California Historical Society; Museum of Toulouse (France); Luxembourg Museum (Paris); Bohemian Club (San Francisco); San Diego Museum.
Return to artwork page.