1910 - 1997
Harley Henry Melzian was born in Yankton, South Dakota on October 14, 1910, the son of an itinerant preacher. Following graduation from Santa Ana (CA) Jr. College, Melzian studied in Los Angeles at the Art Center School and with Barse Miller. During the Depression he designed wooden table craft for Los Angeles stores and worked for the San Francisco Examiner. Leaving California in the early 1940s, he moved to Detroit, Michigan where he was director of design at Ford & Earl Designs. His designs included the National Bank of Detroit, Ford Motor Company Central Offices (Dearborn), and State Dept Conference Room (Washington, DC). Retiring in 1972, he moved to Green Valley, Arizona and continued painting until his death there on September 5, 1997. Member: Michigan Watercolor Society; Scarab Club; Art Directors Club. Exhibited: California Watercolor Society, 1934, 1938; Santa Cruz Art League, 1938; Golden Gate International Exposition, 1939; California School of Fine Arts, 1940, 1941; Arizona Aqueous, 1987, 1988.
Return to artwork page.