Artist Biography

Martella Cone LANE
1875 - 1962

Martella Cone Lane was born in Albia, Iowa on April 16, 1875. She lived in Iowa until 1890 when she moved with her family to Hollister, California. After graduating from Cotner College (Lincoln, Nebraska) in 1895, she further studied in San Francisco with William Keith and at the Mark Hopkins Art Institute. She married George R. Lane in 1899 and settled in Fortuna, California where she taught in the public schools and privately. Her painting forte was depictions of the redwoods near her home there. When not active as an artist, she lectured for the Save the Redwoods League. Most of her works are signed simply "Cone" or "Lane." In 1927 she moved to southern California and taught in the public schools of Los Angeles and at Chapman College. During this period she was a pupil of Franz Bischoff and John Gamble. Mrs. Lane died in Whittier, California on February 14, 1962. Exhibited: California State Fair, 1912 (prize); Kanst Gallery (Los Angeles), 1912 (solo); Panama Pacific International Exposition, 1915; California Pacific International Exposition, 1916. Works held: Eureka (CA) High School; Clarke Museum (Eureka); Los Angeles General Hospital; First Christian Church (Fortuna); Los Angeles General Hospital, 1934 (mural).

Return to artwork page.